Travel Team Tryout Process
In 2008, WMSC changed the travel team selection procedures. These changes introduced a clearer, more streamlined selection process consistent with the club’s intention of improved competitive play at high levels. Coaches gained an opportunity to assess players on a full outdoor field and prepare for squad specific indoor training and competition.
Player Selection Process
Fall / Winter
- Age group tryouts will be held as usual.
- There are no specific "A" or "B" team tryouts - only by age group and gender.
- "A" teams will establish their roster by the end of October.
- "B" and "C" teams will be established if numbers warrant additional teams in the Fall tryouts.
- The "B" sides form after the "A" side is selected.
- Depending on the number of teams available in the age group, if a player is not selected for the A team, the player may try out for the B team; and if a player is not selected for the B team, he/she can try out for the C team. Players will not be permitted to solely try out for the B or C team.
- No age group can carry more than 3 underage players. All underage players must rank within the top 5 players carded within the team’s age group.
The focus is on competitive player and team development and will include efforts to ramp up the number of winter sessions from 1 to 2 per week, to enter teams in a competitive winter league and to field the most competitive teams possible at all age and gender levels.